Photo: Bedson Ridge from the south on Highway #16
- 2240 m (7,350ft)
- Naming History
Located in the Athabasca River Valley near Moosehorn Creek
Major Valley: Athabasca
Visible from Highway: 16
Named for: Bedson, Col. Samuel (Bedson Railway Station was named after Col. Bedson who it is thought was the first warden of the Stony Mountain Penitentiary in Manitoba. The station was located at the south end of this ridge which took its name from the station.
Samuel Bedson was born in England, February 3, 1842. He was married twice: in 1873 to Jemima A. Murray, daughter of Chief Factor A. H. Murray, and they had four children; in 1890 to a daughter of Chief Factor McTavish. He came to Canada as a non-commissioned officer with the sixteenth regiment. On the Regiment's being recalled he remained in Montreal. He came west with the Wolseley expedition in 1870, serving as quarter master sergeant of the Second Quebec Battalion. When Wolseley returned east Bedson remained in charge of prisoners at Lower Fort Garry. In May 1871 he was appointed Warden of the Manitoba Penitentiary, which was located at Lower Fort Garry until 1876, and from that date at Stony Mountain. In 1885 he was given charge of the transport service for the North-West Rebellion. He was an avid sportsman, a member of the Manitoba Rifle Association, president of the Stony Mountain Curling club, a member of the Masonic Order and Rector's Warden at Victoria Anglican Church, Balmoral. Following superannuation in February 1891, he went to Ottawa as an A.D.C. to the Governor-General and to serve on the Alaska Boundary Commission. He died suddenly on July 17, 1891 and his body was returned to Winnipeg for burial in St. Johns Cathedral cemetery. [courtesy Scott Ritchie]